- like Tony the cleaner who came in daily during Bren’s operation, with his cheerful Italian accent and grandfatherly ways, our brief conversations with Tony were priceless and spirit lifting.
- or the elderly patient with the beautiful voice from the bed next to Brendan on ward 7E and his equally beautiful wife; with whom I had a lovely chat about cancer and how it affects the patients and their families, out on the balcony. Although in age we are decades apart, they too are a close, married couple just like us, going through a heart wrenching time, there was an instant kinship because we are on a similar journey.
- God bless the bus driver that let me on the bus with a nod and a smile one wet evening, because I had the right card for the wrong bus, so he let me ride for free rather than kick me to the curb.
- Can't forget Mr Liu who serves the best bacon & egg rolls ever from his food van across the road from the main hospital, and got high recommendations from the nurses.
- of course the two wonderful managers at Ibis who go out of their way to make sure my stay is comfortable and that I have all the help I need. And for making sure the lolly vendor is full of snakes alive.
- and without a doubt the waitresses, the cook and the barista at my fave little cafe on Missi...which is called Cafe Missi, who all greet me with friendliness, kindness and a smile. Even if they don't really remember me, they make me feel as though they do, when I pop in for a quick cuppa & a bite to eat every other day, sometimes twice a day.
|Mr Liu's Food Van always eat where the locals eat when away from home|
- to get well,
- to help make someone else well
- or to support someone while they are getting well.
I give thanks today for the wonderful medical practitioners that we have in this country, and for the medical system in place that gives every one of us access to it. But above all else I give thanks for the Grace and kindness of my fellow human-beings, when we work with one and other rather than against one and other, miracles happen.